BLASTS FROM THE PAST.
From the Parish Magazine dated December 1874.
“At a Committee meeting of the Hungerford Institute, held on Tuesday,
November 17, it was resolved to admit quarterly members by a payment of
3s in advance. The Committee hope by taking this step that many who have
hitherto held aloof will join the Institute for the winter months. It is
also agreed upon to furnish the Reading Room in a more comfortable manner
by addition of some easy chairs, and make it as attractive as possible by
the introduction of chess, backgammon, draughts, etc. This is a step in
the right direction, and now that there is a chance of having a warm and
comfortable room where one can smoke and read during the winter months it
is to be hoped it will be well patronised. We are glad to hear that the
financial state is favourable and the society is in a flourishing condition”.
From the Parish Magazine dated December 1880.
“The Vicar and Churchwardens intend to relay and level the turf on
the triangular piece of ground in the Churchyard which lies between the
two Church paths. If those whose relatives are buried in this part of the
Churchyard have any objection to make, or any suggestion to offer, they
are requested to signify the same to the Vicar before the end of the week.”
Note:- The second path in the Churchyard referred to was to the left of
the row of lime trees at the east end of the Churchyard and ran up the door
in the south east wall of the church.
From the Parish Magazine dated April 1891.
“The Hungerford Parish Church Window Fund which has done so much for
the adornment of our Parish Church is by no means as flourishing a condition
as it ought to be. The number of 5s subscribers is only half that with which
it began in 1884, and the income for the past year will not be enough to
meet the expense of putting in the St Lawrence window. A faculty has been
obtained for erecting three more windows, the proposed subjects being at
the East end of the South aisle, our Lord with the Doctors in the Temple;
opposite the door, Our Lord feeding the five thousand; at the East end of
the North aisle, our Lord entering into Jerusalem. But funds are only provided
for the last of these, which is the Memorial Window to the late Rev. T.H.Mitchell.
There must surely be a large number of parishioners who have sufficient
interest in the Parish Church to be willing to subscribe five shillings
a year for the decoration of the remaining windows, but unless additional
subscriptions or donations are forthcoming the work must be indefinitely
“The lease of the Hungerford Fly Fishing Club will expire on the first
of September next, and it is understood that it will not be renewed. After
that date the fishing will be at the disposal of the Constable and Feofees.
It appears that there is plenty of fish in the river, though the absence
of fly for the past year or two has caused some disappointment: and it is
hoped that the authorities will make such arrangements as may conduce to
the proper preservation of the river, and to the general advantage of the
More from the Archives next month.